The Social Health Dept
Our department is essentially responsible for the Mental Health and Addictions programming and service delivery, this includes referrals, and counselling. I have executive Assistant who is Josie Beneun Pone. I also advocate and support Innu clients dealing with Child Youth and Family Services.Ruben Pillay is the manager of the youth services under these three program areas. He is the administrator and manager of these program areas. He reports to me directly. These programs include: Group Home; Safehouse and CYN which include NAYSPS
I am responsible of a $3,224062.00 under the Social Health that consists the mental wellness and addiction programming of Sheshatshiu members. Two separate programs for Adults and Youth:
The Dept consist of :
- Family treatment program Kristin Sellon oversees the adult programming for Family Treatment programming. (8 staff). Dave Qupee, Calvin Hurley, Margaret Penunsi (receptionist), Germaine Rich, Janet Pone, George Nuna (elder), Theresa Nuna, Michel Nuna. (One senior position vacant and advertised.) Family Treatment 1,167,753.00
- Family resource centre
Helen Aster- manager of the food bank and Family Resource program areas with Three parent support workers; Elizabeth Antuan, Mary Agathe Rich , Damiana Benuen (on leave). This program is to encourage and support pregnant women and parents build knowledge and awareness of maternal child development.
- Family Resource 60,000.00
- Parent Support 140,000.00
- Rose Gregoire safehouse
404,000.00 shared funded program from Health Canada and AANAC. Coordinator: Dale Montague; support staff: Dale Montague, Kenny Nuna, Paula Blake, Basil Nuna, Edward Nuna
- Shushepishapan Group Home
Provincial funded program. Seven (7) staffed. Gavin Sellon (coordinator); support staff: Nickolas Gregoire; Marsha Michelin, Charlene Rich (Maternity Leave) Spencer Chubb’s, Anthony Penashue, Johnny Nuna
- FASD and community health planning
Annie Picard-FASD Liaison Worker: Providing health promotion and prevention education to community members in order to encourage and support health babies.
Community Health Planner- Janet (Gregoire) Bellefleur: Coordinating health agencies and community members to identify community strengths and needs which in turn build community health and wellness.
Mental Health (BF)
Mental Health (BHC)
Some other areas and functions that I perform and support through Committee:
- Regional Health Directors through Atlantic Policy Congress (APC)
- Innu Mineueniun Committee IMC and subcommittee
- CYFS- Subcommittee
- Innu Roundtable functions with leadership
- MUN- Faculty of Aboriginal Medicine
- CJAYTC- Chair of Charles J Andrew Youth Treatment Centre
- Direct Justice
Department Director: Jack Penashue
Department Contact: (709) 497-8522.